Friday, February 4, 2011

Project 31 Day 13: Better Me

I find it almost ironic that I'm writing about how to make a "better me" while watching a movie by the title of "Despicable Me."
Coincidence? I think not.
Ok, so maybe it is, but I think it's funny.
That and a kid in my class yesterday would NOT stop quoting this movie, so, you know, I'm just following the trends . . . even if they are set by seven-year-olds.(P.S. I need--not want, but need--Gru's scarf. K, thanks).
Speaking of seven-year-olds, today was our school's weekly extracurricular day . .. and our monthly ice-skating day . . . oh, and the kids did paper mache in class . . . So how was my day? Well, let's just say that reading World War Z made me realize how much simpler life would be if it involved a zombie apocalypse. Love the kids, love the school, not a big fan of Fridays.

Anywho, on with Project 31.

Day 13.  Write about something you would like to change about yourself for the better.

Oh, the list I have . . . but I'll summarize. 
  • Develop a faithful and regular workout routine--not so I like lose a ton of weight, but so I have a healthy body and habits for before, during, and after pregnancy. I've heard the healthier you are before pregnancy, the better it is. Not that we're trying or expecting. Like I've said before, I'm just a planner. 
  • Continue to learn that the world does not end if everyone isn't happy with me--I can't please everyone, and that's normal and doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with me. Some people just don't mix, and that's okay. When I first started working as a teacher, I would cry all the time--and I am NOT a crier--because I would receive emails texts, and comments about things I was doing wrong. They weren't malicious in nature, just making me aware that I had forgotten to send home a worksheet or instructions were confusing or whatever, and I just fell apart. I love constructive criticism, even if it's hard to hear, because then I can improve, but it was just all the time and I felt like the world's biggest failure. It was a good thing because I'm coming to terms that no matter how hard I try, some people will still have issues with me. 
  • Lose some of my competitive streak . . . or at least learn to control it ever so slightly.
  • Be completely and totally content in my circumstances and live in the present. We will be totally ok if we never make enough money for me to be a stay at home mom, that's ok (p.s. if anyone has any tips on the kinds of companies that will hire you to work from home, I would be grateful). I'll be ok if we never own our own home or spend a year overseas. I don't need to worry about the future because, it's not here yet. But the now is. We're living in it, might as well enjoy it and make the most of it. Now is awesome :]

2 comments:

  1. Ahahaha. I'm SO with you on point #1! I am nowhere NEAR trying but I want to make sure that my body is good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you...sound like some good changes...add read the book, "The Me I Want to Be" to your reading list of 2011...it is such a good one. Maybe your mom will get it for you for your birthday :o)

    ReplyDelete

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"