Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chicken and Feta Stuffed Portobellos

Chicken and Feta Stuffed Portobellos with Tomato Sauce

I originally found this recipe on my husband's friend, Ande's, site Broke and Healthy. She has a lot of awesome healthy, natural, and FANTASTIC dishes with how-to pics, so definitely check her out! I'm a big fan of her Rosemary and Sea Salt Potatoes, too (changed the way I eat taters). You can find Ande's original recipe for the stuffed mushrooms here.

I made this last Tuesday for dinner and a movie night with my brother (Inception, anyone? WOW).  I was a little wary of this at first, but it turned out deliciously and, for such a fancy sounding dish, it was SUPER easy. If you don't want to use the mushrooms, it would also make a great, easy Chicken Parmesan variant (which may be how I fix it next time :])

I may not be pretty, but I will make your tastebuds sing and dance!

Ingredients: 
  • Giant Portobello Mushroom(s)--one stuffed mushroom + sides (like a salad) is pretty much a meal.
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks (I used 2 breasts for 4 mushrooms, so use more chicken if you're adding more shroomage)
  • 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp basil (roughly)
  • Salt to taste
  • 8 oz crumbled of feta cheese (give or take)
  • Parmesan and/or Mozzarella cheeses to your liking
  • Your favorite tomato sauce (I used Newman's Own Tomato Basil)
  • 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
Recipe
  1.   Heat olive oil in saucepan, then add garlic, chicken, and salt.
  2. When chicken is nearly cooked, add your white wine, if you're into that . . . like me . . . I can't stand to drink it, but golly I just cannot help cooking with it :] (side note: I marinated my chicken in some Italian salad dressing for a couple of hours before beginning the recipe--it's not necessary, but it gives the chicken a little extra flavor and tenderness. It's a great idea if you have the time and the dressing, but not necessary to keep the recipe awesome).
  3. Add your basil to the chicken. When it finishes cooking, set it aside. 
  4. Now would be a good time to preheat your oven to 400*
  5. After washing, gut your mushrooms using a spoon (or any other necessary utensil). All you want is the cap, otherwise, it can't be stuffed. It's fairly easy, but the stem can be a little tricky. 
  6. Place the mushrooms on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan (I highly recommend using the jelly roll pan because mushrooms leak when they're cooked . . . my oven and stovetop were covered in shroom juice--easy to clean up, but it's just something I wish I had avoided)
  7. Stuff your shrooms! Place the chicken in first, then a sprinkle of cheeses, then sauce, then lots of cheese on top.
  8. Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes, until sauce begins to bubble and the cheese begins to brown, slightly.
  9. Enjoy! Oh my lanta!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that looks SO good! I am obsessed with portobello mushrooms and I could probably eat them every day. This restaurant where I live makes baked mushrooms with sauce and cheese and I could live off of those. But I think to add chicken to it would just be amazing. Totally on my cooking list for next week. =]


    Oh, and I'm totally stoked for that "Broke and Healthy" website. Bookmarked!

    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! I can't wait to try this out. I'm glad you're feeding my son such yumminess. :) Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI. I made this the other night and the entire time we could not stop talking about how good it was! So far I've made this and those burgers off that website and I'm in love. Changed my life! haha Also, I love how so many of the ingredients carry over so you really only need to go shopping once to have like 3 meals. Which is usually my biggest problem. Anyway, I was a little weary about the chicken because I don't eat chicken and red sauce (childhood trauma. haha jk) but I thought it sounded funny. Tried it. Loved it.

    Just wanted you to know. =]]]

    ReplyDelete

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"