Monday, April 11, 2011

Project 31 Day 22: See a Need, Meet a Need

Day 22.  What are some needs that need to be met in your community?  Blog about how to extend your hand to those who need you.

Wow, I'm out of the loop here. Need to get back in it. Only nine more posts, can you believe it? Wow. 

 Needs in my Community . . . there are so many. 
You find them in every city, really. The same ones over and over: homeless, troubled teens, troubled adults, low-income areas, kids without parents or present adults, the list goes on. We were told we would always have the poor, that no matter how hard we try, we can't demolish global poverty. 

But that doesn't mean we don't try.  
  
The hubs and I donate money monthly to sponsor a little girl in India--with this money she is able to go to school, provided with school books and uniform, and a meal at the school (very likely the only meal she receives that day).  We love having this opportunity to reach beyond our immediate community and help a precious little girl who might otherwise never have the privilege of learning and escaping the slums of New Delhi.

In our community there are several homeless shelters, donation organizations, and youth programs to help those in need.  Growing up, I did quite a bit helping with VBS programs at YMCAs and serving at Second Harvest Food Bank. Now, with the school I work for, I've taken my class to help sort various donated goods at Harvest Time International. Our church is involved in helping at the Edgewood Children's Ranch (a home program for troubled kids and teens) and PACE Center for Girls (a service for girls in need). I would especially love to become involved with PACE and get to know some of the students there, because you see, it's not really just about what I can do for them but what they can teach me because, honestly, I have a whole lot to learn.

Another need that the hubs and I both feel passionate about  is the underground sex trade. You don't really think about it happening in your own neighborhood, but, recently, the Feds found a Russian sex trade ring in my home town. WOW. Chris and I are actively searching for ways to get involved to help break this vile cycle that is not only overseas but right here. 

And above all else, there's the power of prayer. I can always do a little of that, can't I? :]

How about you? What ways can you meet the needs in your community? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"