Sunday, October 3, 2010

Five Hundred Twenty-Fve Thousand Six Hundred Minutes

How do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights? In cups of coffee, in inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife? ... How do you measure a year in the life? How about love?
--"Seasons of Love" from Rent 


It has been a year.
Exactly to the minute, one year since the pastor said, "I pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride." We kissed, and Chris dipped me in epic Hollywood fashion, a perfect moment.
Chris's boss, Scott, made a point to text Chris right then so that we could remember the clock's proclamation when we were first made man and wife.
It was 1:35 in the afternoon, October 3, 2009.


It's a shame that some of the wedding details are a blur . . . but here are just a handful of what I do remember. :) (pics can be found here since they were somehow deleted from this post  . . . poop)
  • Everyone kept asking me if I was nervous, and I absolutely had no nerves whatsoever, not that entire week. I was completely at peace, just excited. I don't know whether it was exhaustion or my ability to stifle emotions . . . or maybe it was just God.
  • Two days before the wedding, my mother, myself sister, awesome pal (and bridesmaid) Martha, godmother, and some other incredible family friends who helped plan the wedding came to the church to decorate for the wedding. It was long, it was hard, and it was so worth it. Everything was beautiful, so much better than I had thought it would be. I had my candlelight, blue accents, and my paper lanterns; Chris had blue beta fish as one of the centerpieces (we had three: little cakes in our colors, white flowers, and the betas). Really could not have done it without all of the awesome women who helped. They were amazing! 
  • On the way to the church to get ready, my sister randomly asked me if I was wearing a thong . . . yeah no.
  • We had chosen to forgo the "first sight down the aisle" to see each other privately before the ceremony.  Chris had  never smiled wider,. I burst out, "TA-DAAA!!!" and then babbled on about pictures because, when I'm emotional, the last thing I'll talk about is emotions. I was so giddy, I couldn't think straight or say anything truly coherent. Chris just smiled and kissed me, whispered in my ear that I was the most beautiful bride ever. We loved our special time and would not have done it any other way
  • Between pre-ceremony pictures, I entertained my baby sisters/flower girls with a "fill in the blank" stories. "Once upon a time, there was a princess named . . . "
    "Ellie!" the littlest shouted. (Her name is Ellie, in case you didn't know, haha).
    Somehow, every time I left a blank in the story it would involve horsies or the color pink.
  •  Shoes were a big deal-- Chris HAD to wear his black converse and I HAD to have blue ballet flats. It was one of the few things we really, REALLY insisted on . . . that and Chris's blue beta centerpieces haha

    • Along with my bouquet, I held my daddy's handkerchief as my "something borrowed." Daddy always had a handkerchief in his pocket "just in case." Tucked inside, I clutched the purity necklace he had given me on my 13th birthday. He passed it on to Chris before presenting me.
    • My brother, Matt, was supposed to unroll the runner before the flower girls' and my grand entrance. He forgot all about it, until Pastor gave him a weird look, which Matt passed on to my bro-in-law, Ryan, in a panic. So the two of them unrolled the runner . . . and it was oh so many feet too short. All that anyone could hear was that odd, hollow "throm thomp" sound empty cardboard rollers make while the guys tried desperately not to laugh. I was completely oblivious until Matt told me the story later. Can you tell it's a little short? haha
    • I nearly tripped on my dress walking up the steps on the stage. Good grief -_- haha 
    • Before sending us down the aisle, Pastor whispered in great concern, "Chris, how DO you say your last name?"
      "Boe-kee-no."
      He promptly turned around and proclaimed loudly, "I present, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Boh-cheeno!"
      Yup. It was awesome X-D 
    • A week before the wedding, Chris and I decided to "practice" our first dance. I had chosen "Come Rain or Come Shine" by Danny Gokey, and, oh gee oh golly, I hadn't seen Chris look that uncomfortable since the night he met my parents and my father "interviewed" him. Fake grin, girtted teeth, hardly moving. The song ended and he barely managed, "I hate this song."
      "Well, you have a week to find something new," I said, laughing.
      Chris immediately turned on his computer and started dissecting playlists. The man was on a mission, Indiana Jones after his Holy Grail. In about fifteen minutes, he found a song by one of our favorite artists: "The Dress Looks Nice on You" by Sufjan Stevens. It was unique, something we adored, and absolutely perfect . . . and yes, so much better than my original choice, haha. Chris wins yet again.
    • Two words: Zelda Cake. . . . yes, it was the groom's cake, and yes, the actual wedding cake was beautiful and delicious . . . but come on! ZELDA!
    • Chris's best man almost wasn't his due to a sudden move overseas. At the last minute, after Chris had promoted groomsman Asher to BM, Joe was able to come home for the wedding. So, ever so kindly, Asher came to Chris and said Joe really should be best man. At the reception, the DJ told the story, introducing Asher, and then introduced Joe as Joe had introduced himself: "the original best man."
    • As a musician, Chris is pretty particular about musical selections. Along with helping me pick out ceremony music, he mixed all of the music for the reception (except for the dance music because he doesn't like dancing, haha). People still ask for copies of that mix because it was so awesome. Yes, Chris is very proud of that fact. :)
    • We surprised Chris's mom with a mother-son dance. The surprise and joy on her face was priceless.
    • Chris's '97 mustang, our getaway car, was covered in nerd and gamer jokes, and, when Chris forgot to open my door, the mothers, without thinking, shouted, "HER DOOR!!! OPEN HER DOOR!" 
     And that was the day I got married. The first day of the rest of my life.

    It has been a year of learning, a year of laughter, a year of struggle, a year of learning to love and how to be loved. Chris lives out loving me how Christ would love His church, and I only hope he feels the same about my love for him. I  married my best friend, my soulmate. I would never ask for another. It's been an epic year, and we have the rest of our lives to go. I can't wait. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"