Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Off to School We Go . . .

Everything you've learned in school as "obvious" becomes less and less obvious as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no solids in the universe. There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
--R. Buckminster Fuller
Yes, school is becoming less and less obvious.
No one's killed me, yet. In fact, I'm enjoying myself. Drowning in paperwork, but hey, I'm having fun, and I'm getting caught up.

The kids all seem to love class, and, even more amazing, some of them seem to love me. One little girl threw her arms around my waist, yesterday, and exclaimed "I LOVE YOU, MRS. BOCCHINO!" Melt my heart? Just a little bit.

We've been reading The Phantom Tollbooth during snacktime in class, and, even though they only get some of the humor, the kids adore it. To be perfectly honest, I hadn't read it before this, but had heard so many high recommendations that I picked it up for class, and I'm falling in love with it. Adorable, brilliant, hysterical, and, actually, pleasantly educational. People don't write books like this anymore. It takes someone really special and gifted to weave a story like this together; Lemony Snickett is the only one I think of who comes close (and I love me some Lemony Snickett ^-^).

Parent e-mails are diminishing. Not vanished completely, but fading as time goes on. I'm also slightly less terrified of them, which may be an even greater accomplishment.

I really do love the new job, I adore the kids, and I have fun helping people learn. Yesterday, we read a book about King Alfred of the Saxons vs the North Men. Guess who got her history nerd on? Yup.

I'm not the only one with homework . . . The mood of the Bocchino household shoots down several degrees when dear Christopher has homework for his online classes. I am so proud of him for working on that degree, but, bless his heart, he just hates hates HATES it.

And that's all that's going on here.
So this is the Bocchinos, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"