Monday, October 7, 2013

Recipe: Coconut Curry

Peeps, I believe it has been weeks, months--NAY!! YEARS!!! Since my last recipe post.
It's not that I don't cook . . . or that I don't cook new things.
I just . . . Well . . . My kitchen is messy, my food often isn't pretty, and, peeps, by the time I've actually finished cooking, I am HANGRY. No, that's not a typo. I'm full on bear-mode, GIVE-ME-FOOD-OR-DIE. Or I'm really tired and I just don't care. Would that be slungry? tirungry? Why do none of these words sound right?

ANYWAYS . . .

Today, I'm sharing with you guys one of our old-new favorites. It's old because I actually discovered this recipe during year one of my marital status, back when I made mostly casseroles because I was afraid to make things not originating in boxes. Back then, this recipe was intimidating because, um, there's no box people. A couple weeks ago, I started going through my old cookbooks, hoping to rediscover some old gems, and stumbled upon this one. Now, I share it with you.

People, allow me to introduce:

COCONUT CURRY



Savory, thick, and you can throw whatever veggies you want or don't want in there. The hubs is a curry fiend, to he loves it. And, really, it's super easy. Prep meat, sit meat in spice, cook meat, prep sauce, DEVOUR.

So peeps, start your engines, and start whipping up your curry!

Ingredients:
 For Meat Prep:
  •  Roughly 1 pound of chicken breasts, cubed
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 cup sliced red onion
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
For Sauce
  • 2 - 13.5 oz can of UNSWEETENED coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil (if you're using fresh herbs, I think that's roughly 4 tablespoons fresh basil)
  • 2 teaspoons dried ginger (again, if you're using fresh ginger, it's roughly 2 tablespoons)
  •  3 teaspoons curry powder
  •  1 teaspoon chili powder
  •  4 cups COOKED white rice (I think that's 2 cups uncooked)
    Chris and I love cooking sticky jasmine rice in our rice cooker for our curry recipes.
Optional Ingredients
  • Veggies of your choice! 
  • I used:
    • 1 carrot
    • 1 zucchini
    • 1 squash
    • 1 1/2 cup chopped frozen broccoli
    • I cut my veggies Julienne style (is that how you say it?) because I thought it looked pretty but it took lots more time. You could cut it in small quarters--it would be faster and still taste just as good

If you can't find UNSWEETENED on the label, just check the ingredients. 
If it just says, "INGREDIENTS: COCONUT MILK" you're in the clear.
Because, um, technically, coconut milk IS unsweetened by nature.
I wish I had known this four years ago when I was in a panic in the grocery store because I couldn't find a can with the "unsweetened" label.

Instructions

1.  First, prep the chicken by dicing that sucker up into nice little cube.
2.  Once that's done, banish your meat into a ziplock bag and add curry and chili powders, pepper, and salt. Shake it   
     up until the meat is coated.
3.  Let the chicken absorb those glorious spicy flavors in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
4. While the chicken is chilling, prep your onion and your veggies. 


6.  Once your chicken has finished chilling, heat oil in large wok or skillet. Toss in the onions and garlic and
     cook until translucent.
7. Add chicken until cooked through. If you have a veggie that takes longer to cook (like my carrots) add it
    now as well. 
    This is also a great time to throw your rice in your rice cooker . . . or on the stove . . . I hate it when you
    make a big, awesome meal, and then you have to wait because you forgot to prep the rice, so . . . now
    would be a a good time :]
8. If you have softer veggies (like my zucchini and squash) add them once the chicken is almost cooked.



9. Remove these lovelies and set them aside.
10. Add the coconut milk, cornstarch, and remaining salt to your wok or skillet. Stir until smooth.
11.  Heat through until the sauce is slightly thickened and bubbling, then return heat to low.
12. Add the remaining spices to the sauce. 
       I have a confession: I am TERRIBLE at measuring spices. I start small, taste, add more, taste again. So,
       if you want to start with less spices than the recipe calls for then build up, that's awesome.
13. Once you are THRILLED with your sauce, mix the meat and veggies back into the sauce.




14. Serve warm over rice.



AND YOU'RE DONE!!! ENJOY!!!



This recipe makes roughly 8 servings.
It also works really well halved.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle @ Jarrah JungleOctober 8, 2013 at 3:23 AM

    I love a good curry there are so many different recipes and versions to try. Yours looks delicious. I go through spits and spurts, posting no recipes for a month and then one a week lately!

    ReplyDelete

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"