Friday, August 20, 2010

Indiosyncrasy

American women expect to find in their husbands a perfection that English women only hope to find in their butlers.
--W. Somerset Maugham

May the gods grant you all things which your heart desires, and may they give you a husband and a home and gracious concord, for there is nothing greater and better than this -when a husband and wife keep a household in oneness of mind, a great woe to their enemies and joy to their friends, and win high renown.
--Homer

Chris's sisters never failed to tell me the joys and woes of having him as a sibling, so I had a pretty good idea of his random quirks and habits, especially after knowing him and his family for nearly ten years (wow that makes me sound old . . . ). Chris knew most of my habits because most of our dating relationship we were on the phone and I told him waaaaay too much with words and without.

Marriage has a way of opening eyes to all sorts of little idiosyncrasies, some annoying, some funny . . . some simply exist.

Here are a few of ours . . .

Chris's Kitchen Habits that Confused Sarah:
  • "This cereal box/breakfast bar box/milk jug is empty. I will leave it on the counter so that we realize it's empty. Maybe my wife will throw it away or we can use it as decorative art . . . maybe."
  • Remember how the little girl in "Signs" used multiple glasses of water in a day because they had dust in them or whatever? That quirk was inspired by my husband, not M. Night Shamalan's brilliant plot devices.
Sarah's Kitchen Habits that Confuse Chris:
  • "Oh hey, kiddo, I was just at the store, but I forgot something, and I really need it for dinner tonight--you know, that dinner I planned days ago and put on my list with 'all' of the ingredients? Well, I can't finish it without this thing, so can you stop by the store after work and grab it real quick?" [ok, I have been getting better at that . . . but mistakes happen]
  • Setting dishes to soak in the sink . . . having any sort of sinkal blockage drives Chris nuts.
  • Fixing late dinners . . . partially because Chris comes home late but then making him wait later
Chris's Random Quirks Sarah is Learning
  • Anything involving any sort of chemical is DEATH. Even Raid vs the cockroach is not cool. Smashing it with tissues or shoes is so much better . . . despite the nasty musk and gutsy mess it leaves. And, yes, he is the one who gets to clean it up. [and fyi, we have only seen ONE roach here ever, which is spectacular, and using organic cleaners is cool . . . we are all learning that some chemicals are necessary . . . like Raid]
  • The PCs are in the bedroom, and when Chris is playing his online games in the gameroom via massive extension chords that decorate the hallway, one or both rooms' doors must stay CLOSED at ALL TIMES. I like leaving doors open.
  • We have a spot for dirty clothes in the bedroom and in the laundry room . . . but his socks always end up in a separate pile in the gameroom. Not a messy pile. Just a random pile. At least I always know where they are so he doesn't go sockless.
Sarah's Random Quirks Chris is Learning
  • I love spoilers. Love them. I will read detailed reviews, summaries, what have you on books and movies, especially if I don't think I will see them but I want to know the "twist" and if everyone lives without wasting two hours of my life. Chris likes to go into a book, movie, or game with no knowledge or expectations. My impatience drives him batty.
  • I like the apartment as tidy as possible when people come over--not perfect, not anal, just no yucky dishes out. Chris has never understood this female quirk. '
  • The need to talk about EVERYTHING. :) No really, everything. Eveeeeeryyyyyythiiiiiiiiiiing. He's learned way to much about pregnancy and childbirth, and I'm not even pregnant yet. My stories about my library decreased in faith in humanity. I have scarred him for life.
Dontcha just love marriage? Haha. I do! :) No really, I do. God has blessed me with my other perfect puzzle piece, someone who challenges me and balances me in the best of ways. Love it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good morning, Starshine! The Earth says, "Hello!"